Old World Entryway Table – Before & After

A few months ago I posted on one of my great thrift store finds, here. I had originally thought that this little table would go in the library after I painted it a lovely shade of black.
Well, she sat and she sat always in the back of my mind. I tried her in the library just to see, and didn’t like the height for this room. So into the office she went, and I used her to hold my seedlings by the window. But this weekend, all of a sudden I was struck with inspiration.
First I sanded her down to remove the old gloss. The first layer is my very favorite, Rub n’ Buff in antique gold.
Then I used a dry brush technique to add a layer of Valspar’s Filtered Shade. I distressed all over with a sanding block and paper, emphasizing the natural lines and detail of the table.
Next I rubbed a thin layer of antiquing glaze to give it a worn look and add a bit of depth.
I finished up with two layers of Johnson’s Paste Wax. It gives it such a great finish with just the right amount of shine. I love how you can see the gold peeking out behind the distressed finish.

Comments

1. Heather@The Black's Best says:

I love the finish on this table. I'm with you and love how the gold peaks through. Wish I lived in Detroit…I'd buy it in a heart beat!

2. Megandvd@Beauty in the Attempt says:

Well now I am miffed that I do not live in the Detroit area. :( The table looks amazing. I think the finish is so impressive….so lovely. You should be so thrilled! I an thrilled for you.

Cheers~
    e

3. Claudia Lane says:

I love it Sarah! It's stunning, original, wonderful…:))

4. mapleandmagnolia.com says:

That is incredibly beautiful. The treatment you did is PERFECTION. Love it.

5. Chrissie says:

Just beautiful! What a wonderful find, I am sure it will sell like a hotcake!

6. Julie says:

Love it!!! Beautiful table!

7. A Vintage Vine says:

You did a great job on this table!! High 5!

8. Simply Bungalow says:

Great redo. It turned out beautiful!

9. Le-Chat says:

What a fabulous make-over! Now I'm inspired to finally get working on my 'coffee table', which in fact is an old entryway table as well. Thanks for posting this.

10. wonderfullyflo.com says:

Looks tres chic x

11. Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal says:

That turned out gorgeous! I would not have guessing you used the rub n buff first. Love the weathered look.

12. Miss Mustard Seed says:

The finish on that table is perfection! Very nice work!

13. Aroura says:

Love the colors! It would look so fantastic in a rustic kitchen or even entryway!!!

14. Denise @ Simply Weekends says:

That distressed look is so neat! You did a great job!

15. Leidi Bird says:

found you on under the table, this is really really great looking! I would buy this for sure, you did a great job!

16. Tatum @ Many Moments Of Me says:

Your table is beautiful! You did a fabulous job. Too bad you can't find a place in your home for it.

17. Pam - diy Design Fanatic says:

What a gorgeous little table! Great finish!

18. Jessica says:

thanks for stopping by my blog today!

What an awesome thrift store find! You did an awesome job refinishing it. Thanks for sharing!

~Jessica
    inspirationthief.blogspot.com

19. The Vintique Object says:

I love what you did here, Sarah. A great tutorial for a really wonderful finish. And good for you for offering it up for sale! Though it's beautiful, we should not keep things that don't work for our homes, right? (I need to take a lesson in this, myself.)

20. Barbara Jean says:

Sarah,
    It turned out wonderful!!!

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment on my blog. Hope you had a chance to visit my other blogs. One has free tutorials on it.

blessings
    barbara jean

21. Lisa says:

Oh my gosh, your table has so much character – I can't believe you're giving it up! Love the finish and those feet!!!!

22. Shannon says:

Beautiful! You did a fantatic job it looks great. I live in San Diego or I might have made an offer on it.

23. Amaco says:

Love love love your table! Wish I was closer to Detroit! Thanks for using AMACO's Rub 'n Buff. I've posted to our Facebook and included one of your photos and a link to your blog. Let me know when you use RNB and I'll post again.

24. Rene says:

Your table is gorgeous! Love those claw feet!

25. Amanda@RelovedRubbish says:

The finish is perfect for this table! I love the white over the gold. You did a fabulous job!

Amanda

26. Allison@FabRehab says:

Triple heart this finish!! Nice work!

27. Kerrie Lightfoot says:

I'm excited about finding your blog. I too, have three boys. Great furniture, pics, and posts.

28. Kimm at Reinvented says:

Gorgeous! I love how you highlighted the details of that table so beautifully!

29. Martina says:

What a beautiful table!! Love the finish you gave it. Martina

30. Kristy Carberry says:

What a fantastic and unique piece! I love the legs! So perfect for a french country kitchen.

31. Fishtail Cottage says:

Wow – love the finish on the table! Fantastic project…xoxo, tracie

32. Paige @ Lucky Me Studios says:

I love your table, and appreciate the MANY steps that it took to have it turn out like this… But, I have to ask you, HOW are you going to sell it? I have redone some things too, that are pretty, but just don't work in MY house. Craig's List is the only thing I can think of to use to sell them… do you have any other great marketing ideas that I am obviously struggling with ?? Good luck with your sale, the right person will be LOVING it !! :-)

33. Cozy Little House says:

Wow, I wish I lived nearby, cause I love that piece! But I'm in Texas, so I hope someone gets it that truly will love it. As you did a fantastic job. And those sweet feet!
    Brenda

34. Cindy says:

Your new finish is beautiful! That is a gorgeous table, my grandma had one exactly like it, in the original finish.
    Hugs, Cindy

35. emilysnan says:

hiya visiting and following from tip junkie and i am glad i did , this table is gorgeous from top to claw feeted bottom x tfs and hope to see you at mine soon
    xmaggiex

36. Centsational Girl says:

I am so happy to ready someone has used Johnson's Paste Wax with success!!! Gorgeous old world finish, so beautiful!!! Thanks for linking up to the party!

xo
    Kate

37. Kim @ Gussied Up Vintage says:

stunning!

38. Cassie @ Primitive & Proper says:

wow, that turned out soooo pretty! and it had me with its feet- swoon!

39. Cassie @ Primitive & Proper says:

wow, that turned out soooo pretty! and it had me with its feet- swoon!

40. Cassie @ Primitive & Proper says:

wow, that turned out soooo pretty! and it had me with its feet- swoon!

41. Cassie @ Primitive & Proper says:

wow, that turned out soooo pretty! and it had me with its feet- swoon!

42. Cassie @ Primitive & Proper says:

wow, that turned out soooo pretty! and it had me with its feet- swoon!

43. Cassie @ Primitive & Proper says:

wow, that turned out soooo pretty! and it had me with its feet- swoon!

44. Cassie @ Primitive & Proper says:

wow, that turned out soooo pretty! and it had me with its feet- swoon!

45. Heidi says:

Wow – what a treat to land here via Centsational Girl. I have a very similar, but slightly larger, table that has been handed down through my family. Apparently my grandfather's family brought it from Wisconsin to Oregon on the train. It's in sad shape with the legs falling apart but I love it. I think it would look great with this treatment. I'm scared to refinish a family piece though. Thoughts? Thank you!!!

46. Tammy @ Type A says:

i would love it you shared this at my party! you did a fabulous job, looks great.

47. Sarah, Three Boys says:

Hi Heidi, What an amazing story! I totally understand why you would hesitate. For what it's worth, here are my thoughts. Do you LOVE the way it looks now? Or are you just happy with it because of the sentimental value? If you don't totally love the way it looks now, I say go for it. No sense in having something in your house that you don't completely ADORE, right? You can think of it as giving this family heirloom new life so it can be enjoyed for years to come, you are also adding to the story! Grandma & grandpa brought it on the train and then Heidi refinished it because she loved it so much and now it is in my house:)

48. Heidi says:

Sarah – thanks so much for your response. I was thinking along those same lines. I *don't* love the way it looks now, but I put up with it because of the history. Truth is, no one else wants it now and I should make it mine. You've given me the courage to take the leap. Thanks for being my inspiration! :)
    I also want to tell you that lately I've been on the obsessive decor blog-o-coaster, devouring all blogs I can find about diy decorating. The results of your refinishing techniques stand head and shoulders above anything else I've come across. I have a fine arts background and it seems like you have such a great sense of depth and nuance. How did you come up with these ideas? Thanks again! <3

49. Sarah, Three Boys says:

oh my goodness Heidi! You have made my week!!! I actually have no idea, most of the time I don't even have a clue what it is going to look like when I'm finished. I just grab whatever paint/materials I have around and keep going until I think it is finished… I can tell you I LOVE furniture, there is something about the lines and feel of the finish when it is done that makes my heart skip a beat. I am one of those folks who may have a deconstructed chair with no seat sitting in a room like a sculpture. I am so glad you stopped by!!

50. Kristen Eleni Shellenbarger says:

Hi! I'm in Michigan (Royal Oak)…do you offer refinishing furniture for clients! I have a WONDERFUL old chair that I need help with! Thanks so much!!!

51. poindextr says:

wonderful job! Your technique is very inspiring – I'm really trying to pay attention so I can branch out and try something new. Thanks so much for sharing :)

52. Amy Kinser says:

It's gorgeous! You did a marvelous paint job on it.

Nice to meet you. Amy

53. Nita {ModVintageLife} says:

I love how this table turned out! I love the dry brush technique. It really brings out the detail.

54. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions says:

Wow, how great she looks now, Sarah! Just that little bit really did the trick to change the look. I love the claw and ball feet, too.

55. Glenda @ Magnolia Bend Drive says:

This is beautiful. I love her curly legs and feet.

56. Marianne@Songbird says:

What a beautiful and special table. You really made her shine.
    I finally found a quiet morning to visit everybody again and actually leave a comment this time.
    Thank you again for playing in my We Love White linky party!

57. GLENDA CHILDERS says:

Such a beautiful piece. I love how those beautiful claw feet now are featured.

I am popping over from Sarah's great paint party. (Link #34)

Fondly,
    Glenda

58. Wendy says:

loverly
    loverly
    loverly

59. Sarah @ Modern Country Style says:

It looks GORGEOUS! What amazing feet that little table has! I love them!

Thanks so much for joining up with my Paint, Please link party.

Sarahx

60. A fascinating discussion is worth comment.
    I do believe that you should write more on this subject matter, it may not be
    a taboo matter but typically pelple do not talk about such issues.
    To the next! Kind regards!!